Ann Louise created this recipe, inspired by a study at Penn State that found eating soup can trigger you to consume up to 448 fewer calories per meal, this satisfying soup is an easy go-to recipe to help jumpstart long term weight control.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz.) bottle reduced-sodium tomato or vegetable cocktail juice
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14 oz.) can black, navy or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne, or to taste
- ¼ cup each fresh cilantro and parsley, chopped
- In stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high setting.
- Sauté onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and parsley. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and parsley.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freezes well. Make 12-14 cups. 1 serving = 3 cups.