This weekend, Little A. asked if I could make him a monster smoothie. I said, sure I could make you a green monster or how about a Popeye smoothie instead?
PUH-PEEEYYE? WHAT’S THAT??
Well, I guess it’s about time he knows who Popeye the sailorman is, isn’t it? Not that I’m a huge fan or anything, but he’s kind of iconic, especially in relation to spinach! For starters, I explained the whole spinach thing and how he gets his great big muscles. He seemed mildly impressed with my story telling but thankfully I won him over with my smoothie.
What’s not to like? Berries and bananas are one of my favourite pairings. I could enjoy the delicious duo in a morning smoothie each day… however, I do try to eat the rainbow and mix up my colours. For this smoothie, I used light coconut milk, but it’s equally as delectable made with natural almond milk. I also enjoyed hemp milk at one time, until I started to react to it. Then, simply add a good handful of spinach to do the trick!
Although spinach doesn’t contain as much iron as originally thought, it still does contain healthy nutrients and 3 grams of protein per 100 grams serving.
The dark green colour of spinach leaves indicates they contain high levels of chlorophyll and health promoting carotenoids (beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin). These phyto chemicals have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous properties and are especially important for healthy eye-sight, helping to prevent macular degeneration and cataracts. (source)
I like to buy the organic baby spinach and keep it in the freezer, alongside our frozen fruit; it makes smoothie-making a cinch.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as my little Popeye and I did!
The classic mix of berries and banana paired with the supercharge combo of spinach and coconut milk, create an energizing and muscle building smoothie!
- 1 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup frozen baby spinach
- 2 1/2 cups of light bpa-free canned coconut milk (or natural almond milk)
- Place all ingredients in power blender.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth.
- Serving Size: 2
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023