Give traditional sugar cookies a twist with an adorable Easter theme.
- 3 cups flour (or cup for cup gluten-free all-purpose flour to make GF)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease 3 baking sheets. In a mixing bowl sift flour, soda, and tartar. Cut in butter until mixture forms small balls (like peas). In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla – add to the dry mixture. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or until firm. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick (thinner if desired) on a clean, floured surface and cut using bunny-shaped cookie cutters. Place cookies on baking sheet, bake at 400F for 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely before icing.
- 450 grams icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites (or 5 tablespoons meringue powder)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine sugar and egg whites. Mix on low speed and slowly add in about 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth. Transfer to piping bag to decorate with tip of your choice.
- Depending on cookie cutter size, this recipe makes 12 large bunny cookies (including paws and tails). Otherwise, makes about 4 dozen regular-sized cookies.