If you love Caprese salad and you love steak, there’s a 99.9% chance you’ll love Caprese steak. It’s got all the delicious elements of a classic Caprese salad – tomato, mozzarella, basil – over perfectly marinated and grilled steak. The combination is pretty spectacular!
Caprese Steak Is a Great Meal for Al Fresco Dining
Now, I’m not a huge meat eater, but even I can appreciate this incredibly flavourful meal. It has ‘summer barbecue’ written all over it. Just grill up some steak, slice it into strips, top with all the Caprese salad ingredients and there you have it, dinner is ready.
This recipe is great for this season and dining al fresco. It’s also a fun way of serving steak at a family gathering. When you prepare it in personal dishes, like these hamburger/hot dog baskets I used, it’s easy to grab your serving and go sit down. You can add some fresh cut veggies, deviled eggs, and/or biscuits as a side to complete the meal. Mmmmm, yum!
This Recipe Is Husband-Approved
If you’re looking for ideas of what to cook for Father’s Day, I highly recommend giving Caprese steak a try. My husband was more than happy to give this one a test run, he loved it, and he’s confident to recommend it too.
Again one of the features I love about this type of meal is that the prep work is quick. Which is fantastic if you are entertaining because it easy to prepare the Caprese elements beforehand and cook the steak when your guests arrive – which lets you enjoy the party too.
For this recipe I used boneless cross rib steak, grilled it and cut it into strips, serving about 4-5 strips per person. So depending on how many you’re feeding, you’ll have to pick up that amount of steak. I personally used two large steaks (about 750g all together) to create 4 large servings. You can also use filet mignon or sirloin steak it’s up to you!
Fire up the Grill and Enjoy!
When the weather turns nice I want to enjoy as many meals outside as possible, dining al fresco is such a luxury after our cold winter. With Father’s Day next weekend and the summer holidays coming up, you better believe we will be firing up the barbecue and heading outdoors. Which is why meals like this Caprese steak are perfect for just that – it is simple to prepare, serve, and enjoy.
As we go into these gorgeous summer months I wish you amazing meals surrounded by loved ones. I hope you give this simple recipe a try and let me know what you think! If you put a unique twist on it or have a similar recipe please reach out and share.Print
This recipe combines salad and dinner together! The pairing of Caprese ingredients over steak is spectacular!
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 boneless cross rib steaks (around 750g OR fillet mignon OR sirloin – for 4 people)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves
- In a small mixing bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, pinch of salt, dried thyme, and dried oregano.
- Place steak in a deep dish or large bowl, pour the marinade over the steak and let sit for at least 25 minutes.
- Grill steak for around 3-5 minutes per side over high heat (depending on thickness of cut).
- Remove from the grill and slice the steaks.
- Top each serving with mozarella and tomato. Optional: add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add fresh basil on top, serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American, Italian
PIN this recipe!
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023