Spring is finally here and to celebrate it at The Best of this Life we are doing a full bodyweight workout to shake off the cold. Here in the Smith household we love being outside but it gets pretty cold in the winter, so when it warms up you better believe we are going to take advantage of the warmer weather. It is with this in mind that I have a great workout you can do inside or hopefully outside in the awesomeness of spring!
Some benefits of bodyweight workouts:
- Train anywhere
- Workout the whole body with simple and practical movements
- Easily combine cardiovascular exercise with strength training
- Increase your flexibility, balance, strength and athleticism
- Injury prevention
The Spring Workout:
- Start out with the squat, with your feet shoulder width apart lower your body down by pushing your hips back and bending your knees, keep lowering yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor and then slowly lift back up to the starting position. You can make this exercise harder by squatting down deeper below parallel.
- Next is the pushup, we are going to began a little untraditionally by laying flat on our stomach, then with hands shoulder width apart press your palms into the floor pushing your body up until you lock out your elbows and then slowly lower your body back to the floor.
- After the push-up while you are still laying on your stomach roll! While keeping your feet and elbows together with arms over your chest (your body should be resting on your arms to begin) then roll sideways keeping your body in a straight line without moving your head, depending on the amount of space you have, try to roll a few times to one side and then back to where you started.
- After rolling stand up and just like a bunny exploring spring hop; keeping your feet close together hop forward, back and then side to side. Again depending on the amount of space you have just hop around for a while. Like the rolling this is a playful exercise, so feel free to jump around and have fun!
- After the hopping get back down on all fours and like a bear coming out of hibernation crawl around! Keeping your hands underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips, lift up and crawl around in all directions front and backwards. Just like the rolling and hopping, crawling should be really fun. Just get on all fours and move around letting your body move as it naturally sees fit.
Putting it all together:
- Squat x 10
- Push-up x 10
- Rolling 1 minute
- Hopping 1 minute
- Bear Crawling 1 minute
- Break 1 minute
- Repeat 3 times
Feel free to change the repetitions or times of the exercises or even add a few more I didn’t talk about; this is a great workout to throw in things like pull-ups or a plank. Here at The Best of this Life we encourage you not to just follow our recommendations but to explore and make things your own, maybe you will find something neat and share it with us here.
I hope you all enjoy The Spring Workout and the wonderful weather that is to come, if you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to comment here and as always thank you for reading and cheers to your good health!
Disclaimer: Before starting any new diet and exercise program please check with your doctor and clear any exercise and/or diet changes with them before beginning. I am not a doctor or registered dietitian and do not claim to be so.The opinions and experiences I share are my own
- Visit Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition for a Beautiful Experience - January 28, 2023
- How To Choose The Best Travel Bag For A Short Trip - February 22, 2022
- How To Care For Your Cast Iron Frying Pan - November 1, 2021