We’ve been having one hot week in Canada’s capital. And friends, I’m not complaining! We’ve been maximizing our family fitness club membership by using the outdoor pool every single day. When we’re not at the pool, we’re doing crafts in our basement, the coolest spot in our home. Aiden has created some pretty amazing car tracks for running races and Abigail loves to watch her older brother in action and join the fun.
I don’t want you to think I was baking this apple sauce bread in the middle of the hottest days this summer. I did however, put the loaf in to bake at night around 11pm and took it out right before turning in. It was ready for us to enjoy in the morning and that we did.
This is one of the simplest recipes, but it yields delicious results. The bread is moist, sweet, and melts in your mouth. You can top it with coconut oil, butter, honey, or easily enjoy it on its own. The apple sauce and strawberries add just the right amount of sweetness to make each slice a perfect treat.
Apple sauce is a wonderful way to use less oil and sugar in a recipe, without noticing the substitute. My kiddos were asking me for seconds and I was happy to oblige in a healthy start to their day. Goodness knows they need the sustenance for their energetic lives!
Of course, you can make this recipe without strawberries or with the addition of nuts, seeds, or other fruit. I’ve also made a version with dried raisins and additional spices (nutmeg and ginger) – which is also very delicious.Print
A super moist and naturally sweet apple sauce loaf the whole family enjoys.
- 1 cup of brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup of quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened virgin coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of sugar (I used turbinado)
- 11/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup -3/4 cup of halved strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the coconut oil, egg, and sugar.
- Add the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour in the applesauce, and mix together.
- Gently fold in the strawberries
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil, and pour the batter inside.
- Tap the sides and use a spoon if necessary to make it even.
- Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 25 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Transfer to baking rack to cool completely or cut and eat warm (however, it may be more crumbly!)
- You can substitute coconut oil for softened butter.
- Cook Time: 45
Do you have a favourite summer bread recipe? How are you using strawberries in your baking this season?
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023