I posted this smoothie the other day on instagram and it garnered a few oooohs and yuuumms, so I thought I would share the recipe with you today. It started with leftover crumble from a gluten-free cobbler I had made the day prior. I had too much to use in the dish, so I saved it thinking it would be a nice addition to homemade apple sauce. But, it had other plans.
As I was making a strawberry smoothie for lunch, I remembered the crumble and thought...oh this would be amazing. So, I added a tablespoon to the smoothie itself and used the rest as topping. Wow, did it every taste delicious. It reminded me of one of my favourite ice creams from my childhood, strawberry cheesecake. Seriously, try it – you’ll love it!Print
If you like strawberry cheesecake, you’ll love sipping on this delicious strawberry smoothie that resembles your favourite dessert.
- 1 cup of frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of cashew butter
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of natural vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten-free crumble (or gluten-free graham crackers)
- 8 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup of ground gluten-free oats (use food processor or coffee grinder)
- 1/4 cup of virgin organic coconut oil (or softened butter)
- 1/4 cup of coconut or raw sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cashew butter
- Prepare the crumble in advance, by combining the gluten-free oats, smooth coconut oil (if it’s liquid, place in refrigerator for a little while) , natural sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and cashew butter.
- Mix together to form a crumble. If it’s not clumping, add a bit more creamy coconut oil or cashew butter.
- I kept my crumble in the fridge, so it was cold and solid when I used it – which I liked. It’s up to you, but if you would prefer it that way too, refrigerate for 30 minutes before using or prepare the night before.
- For the smoothie, add all ingredients to the blender, and use two Tablespoons of crumble, saving the rest for the topping.
- Blend on medium-high until smooth.
- Top each glass with the remaining crumble. Enjoy right away!
- Alternatively, you can use gluten-free graham crackers.
- Serving Size: 2
This week, our little girl hit her three month mark, life has been a bit topsy turvy, and I launched this incredible jewellery giveaway. The weather is making me batty. I’m trying my darnest to remain positive and focus on other sources of happiness – but I truly do long for the sun. I feel like I haven’t seen it for days upon days. Today, my older sis is visiting from Toronto and I’m thrilled that the littles get to have quality time with their Aunt and I get to catch up with her. Also, hubby has the weekend off from school (and work) – so that means a bit of a break for me, which I feel I need. Maybe just a walk in the woods alone or a pedicure? Something to zone out and rejuvenate for the next busy week ahead!
What are your weekend plans?
P.S Did you see this Christopher Walken dance montage? I’m kind of a big fan of his dance routines, so this was awesome.
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023