This post is proudly presented in partnership with Hamilton Beach Canada, as always all opinions are personal. Emily is a 2017-2018 Hamilton Beach Canada Ambassador.
Making Homemade Strawberry Granita Has Never Been Simpler
Who else has that summer feeling? The sun has been shining here in Ottawa for days and I couldn’t be happier about it. I’ve spent every day outside, whether it’s been walking, gardening, playing with my kids or barbecuing – I’m soaking up the sunshine!
Summer officially kicks off later this month and before we know it, we’ll be celebrating Canada Day. What are your family’s favourite activities to do on Canada Day? There are so many ways to get in on the festivities, including throwing a party of your own with delicious foods.
I love coming up with simple ways to incorporate red and white into Canada Day celebrations with recipes everyone is sure to enjoy. Since I’ve been using my Hamilton Beach® Professional 14 Cup Dicing Food Processor so much this season, for everything from homemade banana “nice” cream to slicing vegetables, I thought it would be the perfect small kitchen appliance to help me create a delicious summer dessert: strawberry granita.
Enjoy Strawberry Granita on Its Own or as Part of a Layered Dessert!
Strawberry Granita is the star of the layered treat I’m sharing with you today. In fact, you can enjoy it completely on its own as a refreshing sweet course. However, for this grand frozen dessert, I paired it with vanilla frozen yogurt and sliced fresh strawberries. Mmmmm…
Before I jump into the recipe, I wanted to talk a bit about why the Hamilton Beach® Professional 14 Cup Dicing Food Processor is one of my go-to tools in the kitchen. It dices, slices, shreds, purees, chops, mixes and kneads! You can make salsa, slice potatoes, shred cheese, make cookies, and even turn nuts into a nut butter. That’s just a few ideas, there is so much you can do using the pro food processor! I highly recommend it for anyone who loves getting creative in the kitchen and needs a helping hand (it grates a whole block of cheese in seconds), or wants to try new recipes and make typically commercial food products the homemade way.
To add to the list of awesome creations you can come up with, it also makes a wonderfully easy granita! If you’re not familiar with granita, it’s an Italian-style flavoured ice and I can’t get enough of it during the hot months. For a lot of granita recipes, you would have to boil the ingredients, then freeze them for hours to get an icy texture. However, for this recipe there is no cooking required, you can whip it up quickly in the food processor then freeze it on a tray for only 30 minutes. Simple, easy, delectable!
This Strawberry Granita is tart and sweet, bringing together the vibrant summer flavours of strawberries and lemon, sweetened with a touch of sugar and honey for a perfectly balanced taste.
To make this dessert really festive for Canada Day, I added vanilla frozen yogurt to complement the bursting notes of the granita. Together, they make a wonderfully creamy, indulgent frozen dessert that tastes like a lightened up strawberry sundae/milkshake/parfait. It’s tremendously delightful to eat and a cool treat with familiar flavours everyone will enjoy!
A refreshing frozen dessert that’s both sweet and tart.
- 3 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of fine lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups of ice
- Using the “S” blade, in a food processor add strawberries, sugar, honey, lemon juice, zest and 1 cup of ice.
- Process on high until ice is broken down, nearly smooth.
- Add in remaining ice, process until smooth.
- Using a metal baking pan (with edges),pour and spread the mixture evenly.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Check to make sure it’s almost completely frozen through. Depending on your freezer’s settings, this might take longer.
- Using a fork, scrape into the mixture to create a slush ice. Serve in 4 small cups.
For making the layered parfait for 2
- Use two tall tumblers or parfait glasses. Scoop in some granita, then a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt, then a layer of sliced strawberries, and finish with remaining granita. Garnish with sliced strawberries and a Canadian flag for Canada Day celebrations!
- Serving Size: 4
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023