Valentine’s Day is around the corner and it’s the perfect time to celebrate L-O-V-E. This year, why not surprise your valentine(s) with an unforgettable meal they’ll fall in love with. Today I’m showing you how easy it is to switch up traditional calzones for heart-shaped ones! Whether you serve them as an appetizer at a special Valentine’s Day dinner or send them in your little cupids’ school lunches, they are sure to be swooned over.
To make these adorable, ooey-gooey, cheese-and-pepperoni-filled calzones, I used a few basic ingredients along with a large heart-shaped cookie cutter (3-4”). To get started, I combined pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese in a small bowl. Then, I rolled out Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust onto a clean working surface, cut out heart shapes and placed them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I dropped a spoonful or two of the mixture onto the centre of each heart, and then I sealed it with another heart-shaped dough cut-out. As a final step, I brushed the hearts with eggs to get a golden crust. Voila! Into the oven they went.
To use up the leftover pizza dough, I kneaded it together and rolled it out into a heart-shaped crust to make a mini pizza. You can also make a few mini dough balls, which are perfect for dipping in pizza sauce. It’s up to you!
While the calzones bake, it’s the perfect time to set up a cute Valentine’s Day themed table! For my setup I included a decorative bouquet of roses, pink napkins and glass bottles of caffeine-free root beer with pink polka dot paper straws. My kiddos, aged 3 and 6, were all too happy to be my taste-testers and loved getting a seat at such a festive table.
The heart-shaped calzones filled our home with the most amazing smell, like fresh baked pizza. Before I knew it, they were ready to eat. I pulled them out of the oven and they looked as lovely as can be. With a little bit of creativity and effort, these heart-shaped calzones came to be and were thoroughly enjoyed.
My children loved eating one of their favourite foods shaped into hearts and I know they’ll be just as happy when I make these delicious calzones for them again next Valentine’s Day!
From our home to yours, I hope you have a love-filled holiday and enjoy all the small heart-shaped joys this special day brings.
For more Valentine’s Day baking ideas, visit lifemadedelicious.caPrint
Say I love you with heart-shaped calzones
- 1 package of Pillsbury Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 pizza pepperonis, quartered
- 3 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400F. Unroll Pillsbury PIzza Crust onto a piece of parchment paper over a clean counter space.
- Using a 3 to 4” heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the crust into 8 hearts.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese.
- Place 4 hearts on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Distribute the mixture evenly in the centers of 4 of the hearts.
- Place a second heart on top of the mixture. Use a fork to seal the sides of the top and bottom hearts together.
- Crack an egg and whisk together. Use a brush to coat the tops of each heart.
- Bake the calzones in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or just until the edges of the pizzas turn a light golden brown.
- Remove and cool for 5-8 minutes (or until child-friendly temperature) before eating.
- To use up the leftover pizza dough, I kneaded it together and rolled it out into a heart-shaped crust to make a mini pizza. You could also make a few mini dough balls, which are perfect for dipping in pizza sauce. It’s up to you!
- Prep Time: 15
- Serving Size: 4
Emily Smith is an Ambassador for Life Made Delicious and a member of the “Delicious Experts” Influence panel. This post is in partnership with Life Made Delicious. As always, opinions are 100% personal.