There are just certain things that makes sense together; peanut butter and jam, mashed potatoes and gravy, cookies and milk – and chocolate and bananas. Oh, and coconut whipped cream. And pure maple syrup…and date caramel. Yes, these things just make sense together. I’ve been wanting to create a parfait with coconut whipped cream for sometime now, and I finally got around to making it happen. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship; that is, coconut whipped cream parfaits and I. There are endless combinations to try.
But, sticking with this one; it was all about chocolate and bananas. I am aware that the original banoffee style leans towards butterscotch and caramels – but I needed some dark chocolate in my life – so this recipe swung that way. I did however, find the inspiration from Top with Cinnamon’s Healthy Banoffee Parfaits recipe, to include a date caramel sauce…which adds such a layer of decadence to this dessert. I must encourage you to include it when you make these parfaits.
What pleases my palette about this treat is that it’s not too sweet. It’s rich with creamy, delicious layers and flavours – leaving you perfectly fulfilled. Please don’t be intimidated by all the steps. It’s just a whole lot of layering, that’s all! The result is perfection. Enjoy!
A decadent layered dessert that is rich in healthy fats and anti-oxidants (thank you, dark chocolate!)
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 (14oz) can of full-fat organic coconut milk (to make coconut whipped cream)
- 1/3 cup of date caramel, prepared in advance
- Dark Chocolate Pudding, prepared in advance
- 2 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 4 gluten-free/vegan vanilla or maple cookies, crumbled
- Dark chocolate shavings
Ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Pudding
- 1 (14 oz/400 g) can full-fat coconut milk (that was chilled overnight)
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened organic cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of espresso coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Date Caramel
- 1/3 cup of pitted, chopped dates,
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk,
- 1/2 tsp of pure organic vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Prepare the Dark Chocolate Pudding Layer
- Whisk together the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, coffee, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn the heat down and simmer 15 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature (whisking occasionally to help the pudding cool more evenly), then transfer to serving dishes (I used large glass mugs; parfait glasses would be perfect) – then cover with plastic wrap for a few hours, or over night.
Prepare the Date Caramel
- Put 1/3 cup of pitted, chopped dates, 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 tsp of pure organic vanilla extract and a pinch of salt into a blender, blend together until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and heat whilst stirring over a low flame for 5-10 minutes, until thickened. If there are any lumps remaining, blend again until smooth. Allow to cool before transferring to parfait.
Prepare the Coconut Whipped Cream
- Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator for at least 12 hours – aim for 24.
- When you open the can of coconut milk, you will find a thick layer of cream on top, scoop this out into a medium sized bowl. Take only the cream and leave the coconut water for a smoothie.
- Whip with a hand mixer on high for 1 minute.
- Optional: add in a pinch of cinnamon and a teaspoon of maple syrup (or natural vanilla extract, or a pinch of sugar…). Whip for another 3 minutes.
Assemble the Parfaits
- Beginning with the chocolate pudding base, next add a layer of crumbled cookies to each cup.
- Following with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Then a layer of date caramel.
- Then a layer of coconut whipped cream.
- And finally, top with more sliced bananas, a drizzle (1 Tbsp) of pure maple syrup and a few dark chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 2 large parfaits. It could make 4 small dessert bowls. I had extra date caramel sauce, so I used it in a smoothie.
- Serving Size: 2
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023