You may look at a squash and wonder what exactly you should do with it. Or atleast I do, every single time I buy one. They’re in season at the moment and overflowing at the Farmer’s Market. I love buying them, but then they just sit on the counter, looking festive but without purpose. Well, this year I wanted to make sure to get the ball rolling with my darling looking vegetables (aka botannical fruit) -instead of using them as centerpieces alone. I took the plunge and cut into my spaghetti squash. No turning back once you open it up.
Simple enough, there were pumpkin-like seeds and mush, which I removed. It left a nice cuby hole on both halves of the squash. I decided to fill it. Two fresh apples were peeled and choppped and placed in the hole. Then I drizzled the open faced squash and apples with coconut oil, sprinkled some cinnamon and nutmeg on top, and wrapped them up in foil. I placed them on a baking sheet and into the oven they went. An hour later, baked squash with apple stuffing was ready and our home carried its delectable aroma in every room.
For dinner, I simply scooped out the smooth inside of the squash and served it as a tasty side dish.
Baked Squash with Apple Stuffing
1 large spaghetti squash, halved with seeds removed
2 apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Wash and prepare squash and apples.
- Lay the halves of the squash open-faced on a baking sheet.
- Place equal amounts of apple slices in the core of each half.
- Drizzle one teaspoon of coconut oil on both sides.
- Top with a sprinkle of cinammon and nutmeg on both sides.
- Wrap them up separtely in aluminum foil, place them on the baking sheet and into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and open up the foil using oven mittens.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Serve as a yummy side and enjoy!
Latest posts by Emily Smith (see all)
- Easy Cleaning Hacks and Tips to Make Your Home Sparkle - January 27, 2023
- 7 Budget-Friendly Ways to Enjoy Christmas This Year - December 18, 2022
- Christmas Gift Ideas for Kids 2022 - December 17, 2022