This easy whole grain bread stuffing is bursting with delicious Thanksgiving flavours the entire family will enjoy.
- 3–5 slices 14 grain bread
- 3–5 slices everything-seasoned bread
- 3–5 slices whole grain bread
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small cooking onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup turkey gravy, prepared and cooled
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp garlic and herb seasoning
- Dried or fresh sage, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces. You need 6 cups, approximately 3-5 slices of each loaf, depending on the size of each slice. Place the bread pieces in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Remove and cool.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, celery, carrots and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Whisk 2 cups chicken broth, gravy, eggs, seasoning, and dried or chiffonade fresh sage in a large bowl. Add the cooked vegetables and bread. Gently stir to coat the bread.
- Wipe down the baking dish and lightly grease it with olive oil. Transfer the stuffing mixture into the baking dish. Over the top, pour up to 1 cup of reserved broth. The stuffing should be moist (not soaked). Cover with grated mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. If desired, broil for a few minutes until golden on the edges. Remove from the oven, top with a sprinkle of dried or chiffonade fresh sage, and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American