Why We Love Homemade Stuffing
This easy whole grain bread stuffing is bursting with delicious Thanksgiving flavours the entire family will enjoy. We make it with a variety of whole grain bread, celery, carrots, onions, chicken broth, gravy, mozzarella cheese, and sage for a wholesome and comforting taste.
This homemade stuffing is one of the best side dishes to add to your harvest table. It’s simple to make, budget-friendly, and complements a classic Thanksgiving spread. Whether you’re serving a juicy turkey, baked ham, or pot roast, our whole grain stuffing recipe is the perfect addition.
Pick Up Your Thanksgiving Ingredients at Giant Tiger
We visited our local Giant Tiger store to pick up all the ingredients to make our stuffing, and while we were there, we also checked out the seasonal decor! In-store you’ll find a great selection of Thanksgiving cooking essentials, baking items, and fall decorations. We couldn’t resist a beautiful plaid tablecloth, velvet mini pumpkins, autumn-scented candles, and gold candleholders. Giant Tiger has you covered to create your festive feast and holiday table that’s also cost-effective.
How To Make The Perfect Stuffing
A balance of moisture and seasoning is key to achieving perfect stuffing. We used broth and gravy to moisten our stuffing. And vegetables and spices to add flavour.
Now let’s jump into how to make this comforting Thanksgiving dish. For this recipe, we used a variety of bread that delivers terrific flavours in every bite. While you can make this with any combination of loaves of bread of your preference, we picked up the following loaves at Giant Tiger: 14 Grain, Everything, and Prebiotic Multigrain. The blend of different grains and seeds works nicely together.
Delicious Homemade Stuffing in No Time
To get started, look at the recipe below and gather all the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 300 F. and cut the bread into 1-inch pieces. You need about 6 cups, so about 3-5 slices of each loaf, depending on the size of each slice. You’ll place the bread pieces in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Once the time is up, remove and allow to cool. Pre-cooking the bread will help dry it out, which is ideal for making stuffing.
In the meantime, chop and cook the vegetables, prepare the turkey gravy, and grate the mozzarella cheese. You’ll want to set the sauce in the fridge, so it cools before adding it to the mix.
Prep is Done, It’s Time to Cook
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the chicken broth, gravy, eggs, seasoning, and some fresh sage in a large bowl. Next, add the vegetables and bread. Gently stir to coat the bread.
Wipe down the baking dish and lightly grease it with olive oil. Now you’ll pour the stuffing mixture into the baking dish. Over the top, pour with additional broth if needed to moisten the bread, and cover with mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper. Then into the oven, it goes for 30-35 minutes. You can broil the stuffing for a few minutes until it’s golden on the edges.
Before serving, rub a few leaves of sage in your hands to release their fragrance, then cut them into ribbons and sprinkle them over the hot stuffing.
At this point, your kitchen will smell incredible, with the aroma of Thanksgiving wafting through the air!
You’ll Make This Whole Grain Stuffing Time and Again
We feel you’ll love this simple and hearty whole grain stuffing so much that you’ll make it again and again! Can you believe this whole dish cost less than $8
We encourage you to stop by your local Giant Tiger for a great selection and savings on all the ingredients and many other Thanksgiving essentials.
Find more ways to save online at gianttiger.com and sign up for GT VIP for weekly deals on grocery, fashion, and home items.
Have a lovely holiday season, from our home to yours.
This post is in partnership with Giant Tiger. As always, all opinions are honest and personal.Print
This easy whole grain bread stuffing is bursting with delicious Thanksgiving flavours the entire family will enjoy.
- 3–5 slices 14 grain bread
- 3–5 slices everything-seasoned bread
- 3–5 slices whole grain bread
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small cooking onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup turkey gravy, prepared and cooled
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp garlic and herb seasoning
- Dried or fresh sage, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces. You need 6 cups, approximately 3-5 slices of each loaf, depending on the size of each slice. Place the bread pieces in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Remove and cool.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, celery, carrots and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Whisk 2 cups chicken broth, gravy, eggs, seasoning, and dried or chiffonade fresh sage in a large bowl. Add the cooked vegetables and bread. Gently stir to coat the bread.
- Wipe down the baking dish and lightly grease it with olive oil. Transfer the stuffing mixture into the baking dish. Over the top, pour up to 1 cup of reserved broth. The stuffing should be moist (not soaked). Cover with grated mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. If desired, broil for a few minutes until golden on the edges. Remove from the oven, top with a sprinkle of dried or chiffonade fresh sage, and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023