Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we’ve no place to go, let’s make some tummy warming pasta, and Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
The colder it gets, the more I turn to healthy comfort food – like this hearty Gluten-Free Penne Turkey Bolognese recipe by Catelli®. It’s full of vegetables, lean ground turkey and savoury spices. It’s a dish that really hits the spot on a wintery day and makes a delectable meal to serve for visiting family or friends during the holidays! The taste of the new Catelli® Gluten Free Pasta is so good, no one will even know it’s gluten-free…which is wonderful for making sure you’re allergy-friendly with guests, without compromising on taste.
Mr. Smith and I teamed up to take this recipe for a spin. It wasn’t before long that we were laughing it up, since no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t open the can of crushed tomatoes. I blamed it on the pregnancy hormones that make your joints a little lax (no wrist power!!) and passed it over to my husband to finish the job. Hehehe, completely unstaged – it was just one of those things!
Like I was saying yesterday – simple, delicious recipes are the best! I love how straight forward this turkey Bolognese sauce is. Once you’ve got your ingredients prepped, you brown the turkey with onion, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Stir in the tomatoes and broth, then let simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, get your gluten-free penne cooking according to package directions.
All that’s left to do is spoon your tasty sauce over Catelli® Gluten Free Penne and serve hot with parmesan cheese if desired. Mr. Smith and I sat down and enjoyed a delicious pasta dinner as the sun went down. We totally deserved it after all our hard work in the kitchen 😉
- 1 pkg (340 g) Catelli Gluten Free Penne
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground turkey
- 1 each onion, celery stalk and carrot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper (approx.)
- 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine or sodium reduced chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
- Chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown turkey with onion, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
- Stir in the tomatoes and wine (or broth). Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions. Spoon sauce over the penne. Garnish with parsley and serve with Parmesan cheese (if desired).
- This recipe makes enough sauce for 6 portions. Leftover sauce can be reserved, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- For a more traditional Bolognese, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk to the sauce along with the tomatoes and wine. Replace the turkey with lean ground beef, veal or pork.
- Per serving (about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL penne and 1 cup/250 mL sauce): 514 calories, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 67 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrates, 6 g fibre, 2 g sugars, 25 g protein. Excellent source of iron.
Oh, so I guess you want to know about the giveaway?
You’re like…Emily, come on already!
Well, it’s awesome!!
Catelli® and The Best of this Life have teamed up to give one of you….
A Year’s Worth of Gluten-Free Pasta!!
How to Enter the Giveaway
- Leave a comment on this post (you must use a valid email address) – Tell me why you’d love to win a year’s worth of gluten-free pasta!
- After you leave a comment, make sure to enter via the rafflecopter widget. Select ‘leave a blog post comment’ and click, I commented!
- This will unlock several ways to earn extra entries. All entries are verified. Only legitimate entries will qualify.
- Giveaway is open to Canadian Residents only.
- Giveaway will run until Monday, December 2nd at Midnight EST. Winner will be drawn using random.org soon there after.
- Winner has 48 hours to claim their prize!
As seen on ContestCanada.net
Make sure to check out the entire gluten-free line of pasta at Catelli® and like them on Facebook. You can also take advantage of a $1 OFF on the purchase of ANY Catelli® Gluten Free pasta product. Enjoy!!
Have a fabulous weekend friends! xo
Maternity Top provided by Queen Mother Maternity, Ottawa Maternity Boutique
Photography by Mark Holleron of Holleron Photography (The Best of this Life has rights to use the photography)
*This post is sponsored by Catelli® but all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Best of this Life possible!