Gluten-Free Blueberry Buckwheat Crepes

By Emily Smith

Don’t you just love Summer?

Beautiful days filled with sunshine, blue skies, warm weather, early morning walks, afternoon naps,
drives to the country for a picnic & easy evening dinners on the patio.  I love Summer for all it has to offer – especially berries. Really, I just can’t get enough.  The other day, my Little One and I drove
to a berry farm outside the city for the freshest (just picked) basket in town. Only a handful made it home with us…  I may have eaten the rest.

Blueberry season is just starting here, but for some of you it’s been in full swing for a while. What have you been making with these flavourful delights? Right now, they haven’t made it very far into my baking…I rinse them in the colander with intention, but they are in my mouth and gone before I even have time to figure out what I want to make with them. Sometimes you don’t need to make anything more at all – they are enough.

So fresh, so sun soaked you can taste it, so delicious.

I’m working on a recipe for a blueberry lemon bar. That combination sounds so good to me…just have to figure out a tasty gluten-free crust. But for today, they made their way into our breakfast crepes.

Blueberries and buckwheat complement each other nicely.  Just the two of them…
However, when you add in a hint of cocoa, a sprinkle of sugar and just enough hemp hearts for a
little bit of je ne sais quoi?  (truly, no one will have any idea what that added nutty flavour is -
but they’ll love it) – it really brings this combination over the edge, into a level of delectability
that is definitely worth exploring.

Warning Outrageous dancing to Paul Simon’s Graceland has been reported after consumption
of unexpectedly fantastic gluten-free blueberry buckwheat crepes.

Enjoy and have a fabulous Summer weekend!
xo Emily

Gluten-Free Blueberry Buckwheat Crepes
Makes 8

2 cups buckwheat flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup Hemp Hearts (more on the benefits of hemp hearts to come...)
1 cup almond milk
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, cocoa powder. In a measuring cup,
mix together milk, water & vanilla. Slowly pour into dry mixture. Mix together until smooth
and slightly runny (medium-lightweight consistency, pourable and spreadable in pan) – depending on your buckwheat flour, you may need to add a bit more liquid to thin out.

Heat up a Tbsp of butter, olive oil or coconut oil in a pancake pan – pour and spread mixture to form a medium sized circle (crepe). Cook until golden brown, flip and do the same on other side. Enjoy with fresh blueberries!

Find me here

Emily Smith

Emily Smith is the founder and editor of The Best of this Life. She has two littles, a darling husband, and dreams of owning a new puppy. A gluten-free connoisseur, social media maven and reigning fashionista (in her own rights) – She loves writing and shares her three core values with her readers – love life, live well, share the beauty. Let’s dance, shall we?
Find me here

Latest posts by Emily Smith (see all)

You might also like

10 Comments on Gluten-Free Blueberry Buckwheat Crepes

1. tinajo
    July 10, 2011 at 7:14 am (3 years ago)

I´ll take the risk of dancing – this looks yummy! :-)

2. Lucia
    July 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm (3 years ago)

Blueberries soaked in the sun, dinners out in the patio. And your crepes. That’s why we love summer, indeed.

3. Anonymous
    July 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm (3 years ago)

Brilliant!!!!

4. Terri
    July 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm (3 years ago)

I really have to try this recipe. I’ve been hearing a lot about hemp protein…what’s the difference between powder and the hearts? Thanks.

5. Anita Lacry
    July 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm (3 years ago)

Does it make a difference if you use dark or light buckwheat flour? I’m going to try this recipe, it’s so simple and looks good!

6. Fashion Meets Food
    July 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm (3 years ago)

These look divine! I guess I never really thought of the fact that I could make my own crepes!

xo

7. Food Glorious Food!
    July 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm (3 years ago)

Just gorgeous! Thanks for visiting my space! Love your blog and will be following you for more!

8. Mary
    July 14, 2011 at 11:54 am (3 years ago)

What a glorious treat. I’ll wager these are just delicious. I know I’d love to try them. I hope youhave a great day. Blessings…Mary

9. Emily of The Best of this Life
    July 15, 2011 at 11:35 am (3 years ago)

Terri, I’m not exactly sure the difference – but I do think that buying the hearts and grinding them down would give you more benefits. It has been said that there is more by-product in the powder. With the hearts, you can be sure of what you are getting. Thanks for reading!

Anita, there will be a slight difference in taste. The dark buckwheat tends to have a stronger flavour. I quite like it actually!
    Enjoy!

Fashion Meets Food, thanks for your comment –
    I do hope you’ll try making your own crepes…very easy and so good!
    (and way less heavy than traditional pancakes)

Food Glorious Food!
    Thank you for stopping by! I love your blog – I just discovered it and will be doing the same :)

Thank you Mary for your lovely note.
    I hope you do get to try the recipe and let me know what you think.
    I also just discovered your blog & list of beautiful recipes and am looking forward to looking through them.

Have a lovely day all!