p.s The winner of my Coconut Oil giveaway is Karin Hermann – Congratulations Karin! Thank you to everyone who entered the giveaway.
Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
Makes 8 rolls – orginal recipe from Darlene Schmidt at about.com
1 package of small round rice wrappers (dry)
1 1/2 cups of thin vermicelli rice noodles, cooked, drained and refrigerated to 20 minutes.
1 1/2 cups of bean sprouts
1/2 cup of freshThai basil, chopped
1/2 cup of fresh coriander, chooped
1/2 cup of shredded carrot
3 green onions, chopped finely
2 Tbsp of wheat-free/gluten-free soy sauce
1 Tbsp of rice vinegar
1 Tbsp of fish sauce (or if vegetarian, another Tbsp of soy sauce)
1 Tbsp of honey
Additions: 1 cup of cold – cooked shrimp, cooked turkey, cooked tofu, fresh mango or mint – and just about any other yummy thing you can think of (for these rolls, I added shrimp).
- In a large bowl, mix together gluten-free soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce and honey.
- Add all ingredients for the fresh rolls into the large bowl and toss the mixture around, coating it with the sauce.
- In a large dish, add hot water (not boiling). Submerge a clean towel in the water.
- On a flat surface, lay a dry rice wrapper and place the hot towel on top. Allow 30 sec – 1 minute for the wrapper to soften completely.
- Lift wrapper up and place on clean working surface or dish. In the meantime, place another dry rice wrapper under the hot towel to soften.
- Begin to fill the first wrapper with 2 Tbsp of filling mixture – spread horizontally.
- As shown in the above image, fold in the top and the bottom of the wrapper first, then roll in the sides. You can use a dab of water to seal the wrapper in place.
- Put prepared Summer rolls on a serving platter as you make them. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together. Use a fork at first and then a spoon.
- This makes a thick sauce, if you would like a thinner sauce, add more water and lime juice.
- Perfect for dipping your Summer rolls in!