There isn’t much to say here friends. It was just one of those days where cake was in order. Cake made sense. Cake was the thing. Blame it on the rain, blame it on the sweet cravings, blame it on the wild boy that asks for birthday cake every…single….day! This cake is easy, it’s delicious, it’s the perfect afternoon answer to all of your problems. Okay, maybe not. But, it sure does taste that way.
- 7 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of raw or coconut sugar
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Grease 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- Melt virgin coconut oil and chocolate together in a double-boiler.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with salt until light and pale and doubled in volume. Approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Fold in the vanilla and melted chocolate mixture.
- Sprinkle the buckwheat and almond flours over the batter and fold gently to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Insert a knife into the center of the cake and make sure it comes out clean. Otherwise, bake for another few minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool, before removing the parchment paper.
- Dust with raw cocoa powder (or any other favourite topping).
- Serve and enjoy!