Friends, this is the best spiced zucchini bread – it’s moist, hearty, and so delicious.
Freshly grated zucchinis, raw honey, buckwheat flour, cinnamon, clove, and ginger – all add depth of flavour and taste to this seasonal loaf. As the summer harvest comes in, zucchinis abound and are perfect for making a nutritious bread that delights your taste buds. This is absolutely my favourite recipe (thus far) and I have made it with walnuts and dark chocolate chips as well. Mmmm…chocolate and zucchini is an amazing combination! I’ll have to post a recipe for chocolate zucchini bread, brownies, or muffins soon!
This delectable loaf is ideal for breakfast or snacking on. You can butter it, top it with virgin coconut oil, nut butter, or as I did – raw honey. It melts in your mouth and because of the protein found in buckwheat flour, it keeps you full and fuelled.
The amazing benefits of buckwheat flour
Buckwheat flour contains a significant amount of fiber, and studies have shown that it helps slow down the rate of glucose absorption after a meal. Maintaining stable glucose levels by slowing its absorption is key for sustaining your energy throughout the day. Buckwheat is in fact a fruit, not a grain – so it’s ideal for those who have gluten allergies. Buckwheat flowers are a favourite amongst bees and makes some of the very best honey (raw buckwheat honey, anyone? Mmmm….). Buckwheat is also a good source of magnesium. This mineral relaxes blood vessels, improving blood flow and nutrient delivery while lowering blood pressure—the perfect combination for a healthy cardiovascular system (source)
In August and September, zucchinis are rolling in from the farm. If you go to your local vegetable stand or Farmer’s Market, you are sure to find a big selection. Or perhaps, you are lucky enough to grow your own in your backyard! I hope you enjoy making this loaf and eating it with your favourite spreads and drinking a hot coffee.Print
It’s zucchini season! This bread is the perfect way to enjoy the garden vegetable that grows abundantly. Rich flavours of buckwheat, vanilla, and warm spices make this loaf irresistible.
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional, but gives better texture)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- a small pinch of ground cloves
- 2 medium zucchinis (2 cups grated)
- 1/2 cup of raw honey (try buckwheat)
- 2/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic pure vanilla extract
- 2 large cage-free eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional : 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (for dairy-free use Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with virgin coconut oil, and set aside. Wash and grate zucchinis (use the large holes on the grater, and leave the peel on)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine room temperature virgin coconut oil (should be liquid) and xanthan gum, whisk together.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Whisk for another minute until fluffy.
- Fold in the honey.
- Into a separate bowl, sift together buckwheat and rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Combine flour mixture with the wet mix, and stir thoroughly.
- Add in the grated zucchini.
- Lastly, pour mix into the loaf pan. Tap the sides to level, spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes (or until centre comes out clean when a knife is inserted in it)
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing it.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Enjoy with butter, coconut oil, raw honey, or jam.
- For more information on adding xanthan gum to your recipes, please visit http://blog.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/guar-gum-vs-xanthan-gum/
- Cook Time: 45
- How To Throw An Easy Backyard Party – and Earn Aeroplan Points Too! - August 8, 2022
- Why Backyard Gardening Is Easy With Raised Garden Bed Planters - July 21, 2022
- How to Take Care of Your Skin Every Day This Summer - July 13, 2022