Last weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. I still can’t believe it’s been eight years since we said, “I do!” For our celebrations, my hubby asked me to make a special dessert. Of course, I was all too happy to oblige! I love getting creative in the kitchen, especially to surprise my loved ones.
Just like me, he’s a big fan of blackberries, which I wanted to be the star of my dessert. What’s my secret ingredient? Yoplait Whole Milk Blackberry Yogurt! It’s what makes these squares extra creamy and bursting with blackberry flavour.
This recipe is a family favourite, which I make on very special occasions. The twist this time around was adding the yogurt and cutting back on the condensed milk. I loved how the filling turned out, as did my husband and my two kiddos! I received nothing but rave reviews. Using the Yoplait Whole Milk Blackberry Yogurt for the squares added a wonderful quality of freshness – as though I had whipped up the yogurt from scratch.
I have made these squares so many different ways, using different fruits and other toppings and I would easily make them again. In fact, I’m thinking of a Canada Day dessert using Yoplait Whole Milk Strawberry Yogurt with fresh strawberries! Honestly, if you stick to the fundamentals of this recipe, you can easily switch up the flavours all year long.
This is the perfect season to use blackberries. They are big, juicy and taste of summer. In fact, the berries in my pint were so large, I halved them to space them out more evenly.
We had a marvellous day celebrating our wedding anniversary, and these Lemon Blackberry Yogurt Squares were a delightful way to end our celebratory dinner. Be prepared for lots of Mmmmmmsss and Yummmmms when you make these friends!
A delightfully creamy and fresh fruit-filled dessert.
For the crust
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup (4 ounces) gluten-free graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons grated lemon zest
For the filling
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Yoplait Whole Milk Blackberry Yogurt (3 individual yogurts)
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 full cup of blackberries (1 pint), halved if quite large.
- 1 tablespoon grate lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with melted butter.
- Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang. In a large mixing bowl combine graham-cracker crumbs, brown sugar and lemon zest. Pour the butter in. Press mixture into the bottom and up sides of the pan.
- Bake until lightly browned (around 8 minutes).
- Allow the crust to cool for 30 minutes before adding the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk. Add in the yogurt. Then add the lemon juice; whisk until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the blackberries over the crust.
- Pour filling over the blackberries into the crust, as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until set. Allow to cool when fresh out of the oven, then refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. My preference is over night.
- To serve, first sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon zest. Next, use a butter knife to gently cut around the perimeter to loosen the crust. Then use the parchment paper overhang, lift out of pan, and transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares. Wipe down your knife with a damp cloth after each cut. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 16
Emily Smith is an Ambassador for Life Made Delicious and a member of the “Delicious Experts” Influence panel. This post is in partnership with Life Made Delicious. As always, opinions are personal.