Are you looking for a festive recipe to get you in the holiday spirit?
You will find the magic of the holiday season in these Christmas cookies.
Yes, that’s a bold statement, but I stand by it. They are so magical! My children love Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses – they can’t wait to have them every year. And in these cookies, they are the star of the show.
Complemented by rich, fudgy, chocolatey goodness, these Christmas cookies are irresistible.
Chocolate and peppermint have long been classic holiday flavours. Kids and adults alike who enjoy this timeless combination will love these magical treats. They are bursting with the taste of Christmas!
Santa Is a Big Fan of These Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
I have it on good authority that Santa himself is a fan of Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies. I’m telling you, if you put these out on Christmas Eve, you might notice a few extra presents under the tree. I’m just saying, wink, wink.
Plus, these are so fun for kids to make! Once the dough has chilled, they can roll balls of dough in the confectioner’s sugar, place them on baking sheets, and then help you put them into the oven to bake. Watching them crackle is the best part! When they’re ready to take out, after a few minutes of cooling time, kids can drop in the Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses in the center. Then pop them in the freezer to set, so they stay put in the middle.
Finding the Magic of the Holiday Season in the Little Things
The holiday season can bring up a lot of emotions and anxiety. I’m not immune to feelings of overwhelm and worry. Between work deadlines, having my children at home for virtual learning, and getting things ready for Christmas, my plate is full. But when I stop the racing and bake with my kids, everything pauses. Even though there is a big mess to clean up, and things don’t go perfectly, the moments we share help to shake the stress away. We laugh, we tell stories, make up silly jokes, and in the end, we enjoy our cookies!
Whether you go for a walk around the block to see the Christmas lights, make a mess in the kitchen baking your favourite cookies, or curl up to watch a holiday movie – the magic of the holiday season is there, in the little things.
To make these fun and festive holiday cookies, all you need are some pantry staples, like sugar, flour, and cocoa powder – and a small bag of Candy Cane Kisses. With a little bit of elbow grease and help from Santa’s elves, they’re ready in no time and sure to put a smile on everyone’s face!Print
We love the timeless combination of peppermint and chocolate in these Christmas cookies. Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses take centre stage, complemented by rich, fudgy, chocolatey goodness.
- 1/2 cup lard, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden yellow sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk (or regular milk)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 20 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lard and sugars using a hand mixer. Mix for about 45 seconds, until creamed together. Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk – mix until smooth (another 45 seconds).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a sifter or fork to get rid of all clumps. Add in the wet ingredients in 3 parts to the dry mixture. Mix together until soft, wet dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight (or a minimum of 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out dough, about 1 Tablespoon in size, and roll into balls. Cover each ball of dough with confectioner’s sugar and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes (keep a close watch).
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before adding 1 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kiss to each center. Place the cookie sheets in the freezer to allow the chocolate to set. Remove from the freezer and store in an airtight container.
To make these gluten-free: use a cup for cup gluten-free flour.
- Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Christmas cookies, crinkle cookies, candy cane kisses
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023