Yesterday, I wrote about how yellow beans reminded me of my grand-maman. Well, banana bread reminds me of my Mom. I guess because when we were kids, she baked a whole lot of banana bread and banana muffins. Sometimes there were even surprise chocolate chips – which is one of my all time favorite additions. I can still smell the freshly baked aroma that would fill the house. It was such a treat to get off the school bus and come home to a special afternoon snack. Thanks Mom 🙂 I plan on making Little A. lots of banana bread for years to come – he sure seems to like it just as much as I do.
This recipe is an updated version of the one I posted here. I’ve changed it around a bit, to include virgin coconut oil (my new favorite cooking oil), but its still just as delicious and perfectly moist as the original. I love how this bread slices – no crumble, no sawing, just a clean cut for an ideal piece (or two) to enjoy.
Sharing bites with a cuddly kiddo sitting on my lap, looking up at me; smiling and ‘Mmmmms’-ing really makes my day. I can now fully understand why there was freshly baked banana bread after school and the heart of a mother, loving to see her children relish life’s good moments.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
1 cup of buckwheat flour
1 cup of gluten-free oat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup of mashed bananas, packed
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
3/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
3 Tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon organic vanilla extract
6 Tablespoons of chia seeds (or hemp hearts)
Extras: 1/2 banana, 3 Tablespoons of gluten-free oats, 1 Tablespoon of coconut sugar, to garnish the top of the loaf.
Notes: You can take or leave the egg. Without it the bread is a bit denser, but still very good. I’ve made it both ways and when leaving the egg out, I add another Tablespoon or two of applesauce.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and spices together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Add in mashed bananas, coconut sugar, apple sauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry mix. Stir well.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Lightly grease a standard loaf pan (9in. x 5in.) with coconut oil.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Using your 1/2 a banana, slice pieces and place them along the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of coconut sugar and gluten-free oats (or hemp hearts)
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing and serving.