The 3 Day Jump Start Smoothie Detox

By Emily Smith

I bet you are really conscious about what goes into your body. We sure are. Of course, there’s always room for improvement, but overall we are healthy eaters in our home. One or two green smoothies a day, plenty of vegetables, gluten-free whole grains, lean meats and antioxidant extras; such as chia seeds, coconut oil and organic green tea.

SO WHY WOULD YOU OR I NEED TO DETOX?

Well, I don’t think we need to.  I think it feels good, so I’ll tell you why I detox and also share my new 3 Day Jump Start Smoothie Detox Plan with you, if you’d like to give it a try!

“Golden Glow Green Smoothie”

The purpose of cleansing is to take the load off the organs that detoxify our bodies and help improve their regular detoxing functions. Our stomach, bowel, liver, and kidneys work hard and a detox is said to give them a break. There are mixed views on cleanses/detoxes – so I’d love to hear your opinion.

Personally, a light detox consisting of plenty (sufficient calories) of nutritious foods, rest, deep stretching, and being good to yourself – isn’t a bad thing. During my detox, I eliminate from my diet - hard-to-digest foods, caffeine, dairy, sugars, and alcohol. I focus on fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, healthy oils and lots of water.

During a detox, you also take the time to give your whole body and mind some extra TLC. Maybe that means booking a day off from work and making it a three-day weekend. Maybe it means creating an at-home spa for yourself. Maybe it means journaling for 3 days straight and getting rid of some mind clutter. Maybe it means sleeping in, waking up slowly, sipping tea in bed until noon and reading a good book. Perhaps all of the above. The point is to give your system a rest, reboot, especially if you haven’t been eating healthy, rejuvenate and jump start your body; filling it with supercharged fuel and energy.

“Alkaline Mint Cucumber Smoothie”

DAY 1

MORNING DECAF GREEN TEA with lemon

BREAKFAST: Golden Glow Green Smoothie

Ingredients

1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
1 organic sweet apple, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup of baby spinach
5 ice cubes

Wash all ingredients. Prepare and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!

SNACK: 1 Stuffed Baked Apple with Raisins and Coconut

LUNCH: Alkaline Mint Cucumber Smoothie

Ingredients

1/2 cucumber, sliced
1 organic green apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup of cold purified water
6 mint leaves
5 ice cubes

Wash all ingredients. Prepare and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!

SNACK:  2 brown brown rice crackers with almond butter

DINNER: Roasted Squash Soup with Curry

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 Tablespoon of curry powder
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes.
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
3 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth (or homemade)
1 can of coconut milk/cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Heat oven to 400°F.
  2. Stir oil and curry in a large bowl. Add squash, onions, garlic, and toss to coat. Spread vegetables onto a large roasting pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
  3. Heat vegetables, ginger, broth and coconut milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
  4. Spoon 1/3 of the vegetable mixture into an electric blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Repeat blending process twice more with remaining vegetable mixture.
  5. Return all of the pureed mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat until hot.
  6. Serve and garnish with cilantro leaves. Enjoy!   (makes 4 servings, store the remaining in fridge)

Detox Support:

• Take a relaxing detox bath using 2 cups of Epsom Salt with a few drops of your favorite essential oil (try grapefruit, lemon, or geranium for their skin stimulating and detoxifying properties).
  • Spend some time journaling today. Write about the detox plan, why you are doing it, what you want to accomplish; write out any fear of failure and let it go.

“Restorative Fig and Grape Smoothie” “Cranberry Cleanse Smoothie”

DAY 2

MORNING DECAF GREEN TEA with lemon

BREAKFAST: Restorative Fig and Grape Smoothie

Ingredients

2 figs (scoop out inner pink flesh to use)
1/2 cup of red, seedless grapes
1/3 cup of baby spinach
a pinch of cinnamon
1/2 cup of cold purified water
5 ice cubes

Wash all ingredients. Prepare and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!

SNACK: A cup of blackberries with Coconut Whip

LUNCH: Cranberry Cleanse Smoothie

1/2 cup of cranberries
1/2 cup of baby spinach
1 sweet red organic apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup of cold purified water
5 ice cubes

Wash all ingredients. Prepare and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!

SNACK: Carrots with Raw Hummus

DINNER: Red Cabbage Leaf Salad with Blood Oranges and Chives (from original recipe)

Ingredients
1 cups of green leaf lettuce
1 cups red cabbage leaf, chopped
3 mushrooms, sliced
1 blood oranges, one peeled and separated,
4 chives, chopped
2 Tablespoons of hemp hearts
2 Tablespoons of sesame seeds

Dressing

2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper (optional)
Squirt of lime juice

Wash and prepare all the vegetables. Place green leaf lettuce in bottom of salad bowl, layer with cabbage leaf, mushrooms, oranges, and sprinkle chopped chives, hemp hearts, and sesame seeds on top. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently before eating. Enjoy!

Detox Support:

• Take a good quality multi-vitamin each day, from this detox foward. Vitamins are a great way to bring support to your nutrition.
  • If you find yourself hungry in between meals/snacks, make an extra smoothie, reach for a handful of raw almonds, or snack on cut up vegetables. Make sure you are keeping energized, just pick the right fuel!

“I’m Going Bananas Smoothie”

DAY 3

On day three, you may feel like you’re done and your motivation is lacking.  Try to hang in there to complete the last day. Be kind to yourself, take it easy, do something low key.You’ll feel great at the end of the detox and your body will thank you.  For this day, start with a filling breakfast smoothie that tastes like a milkshake.  It usually kills the sweet cravings and keeps you on track. For lunch, another full bodied smoothie that will soothe your stomach, give you energy and make your skin glow!

MORNING DECAF GREEN TEA with lemon

BREAKFAST: I’m Going Bananas Smoothie

Ingredients

1 ripened banana
3 Tablespoons of Coconut Milk Yogurt
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon of alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
5 ice cubes

Prepare ingredients and blend on high until smooth. Top with unsweetened shredded coconut. Enjoy!

SNACK: 2 Gluten-Free Oatmeal Trail Mix Cookies (from original recipe)

2 cups of gluten-free oats
1/3 cup of tapioca flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of liquid coconut oil
2 flax eggs
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
1/2 cup of dates, chopped

1. Grind one cup of the gluten-free oats, until the flakes are nearly like flour. Set aside
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flax eggs and liquid coconut oil (should be liquid at room temp, if not, melt at low temperature over stove top). Blend well.
  3. In a large bowl, mix two cups of gluten-free oats (this includes the one cup ground), tapioca flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Pour wet mixture into dry mix. Blend well. Add the seeds and the dates to the cookie dough. Mix well.
  4. If the dough is a bit dry, add a Tablespoon of water or almond milk to get a nice consistency.
  5. Form round balls with dough and place them on the cookie sheet, one inch apart. Press down gently with a fork to flatten just a bit. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to plate. Enjoy!

LUNCH:  Happy Belly Papaya Smoothie

1 cup of fresh papaya, chopped
1/2 a cup of Coconut Milk Yogurt
1/2 cup of coconut milk
5 ice cubes

Wash all ingredients. Prepare and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!

SNACK: A pear or two with cashew fruit dip

To make the dip, combine 1/3 cup of cashew butter with 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, plus 1/2 teaspoon of organic alcohol-free pure vanilla extract.

DINNER: Roasted Vegetables with Olive Tapenade (from Clean Recipes by Jenny Nelson)

2 pounds of butternut, acorn, zucchini and yellow squash
1 red or yellow onion
1 peeled and chopped jicama
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives

1. Preheat oven to 400 F, spread vegetable pieces on a large baking sheet and coat with oil.
  2. Bake for 45 minutes or until crispy and tender.
  3. Puree the olives in a blender or food processor and spread over the vegetables until they’re well covered and serve hot or at room temperature. Store additional servings in the fridge.

Detox Support:

• Lemon water, Lemon water, Lemon water. Have a glass straight away in the morning and don’t stop until you go to bed. Drink plenty of purified water.
  • Turn in 1-2 hours earlier than you normally would. Get all ready for bed, do some gentle stretches, light a candle,  read a chapter of a calming book and ease yourself into a restful state.

“Happy Belly Papaya Smoothie”

You may not be able to fit a three day detox into your life right at this moment, however it can always be scheduled for the future and something to look forward to. In the meantime, beginning to incorporate one smoothie a day is a great place to start.

For readers who will be giving my 3 Day Jump Start Smoothie Detox a try, I would love to hear how it went for you personally and your feedback (you can email me: emily{at}bestofthislife{dot}com). I worked really hard on these recipes, trying to bring you diverse mix of smoothies. Of course, there are tons of healthy smoothies to interchange with these ones and you can find them here. Hope you enjoy the plan! xo

If you liked this, you’ll love my 3 Day Clean Eating Detox Plan.

Detox with Smoothies and Food for 3 Days

And when you’re done the detox, enjoy 3 Over the Top Clean Eating Blizzard Treats

Homemade Healthy Dairy-Free Blizzards

DISCLAIMER

Before starting any new diet and exercise program please check with your doctor and clear any exercise and/or diet changes with them before beginning. I am not a doctor or registered dietitian and do not claim to be so. This is a personal blog and the opinions and experiences I share are my own.

Emily Smith

Emily Smith is the founder and editor of The Best of this Life. She has two littles, a darling husband, and dreams of owning a new puppy. A gluten-free connoisseur, social media maven and reigning fashionista (in her own rights). She loves writing and shares her three core values with her readers – love life, live well, share the beauty.

Latest posts by Emily Smith (see all)

38 Comments on The 3 Day Jump Start Smoothie Detox

1. tinajo
    February 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm (2 years ago)

Interesting, I may have to try one day!

2. Jess
    February 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm (2 years ago)

That cucumber smoothie sounds good! I can’t commit to smoothies every day, but I’ve definitely been eating more fruits and veggies!!!!

3. Lynn {hearted girl}
    February 12, 2013 at 6:09 am (2 years ago)

couldn’t have come at a better time! Sean & i have been scoping out various smoothie/detox’s for a while now. we just need that “push”, ya know?! maybe it’s still too cold outside to feel like drinking juice more ;) but good gosh Em, if i ever was to go for it your recipes would be where i’d start!!! there’s a delish way you coordinate the ingredients plus the pics showing off the finished results are tremendous!!

um, fig + grape is SO different and sounds amazing. i love the whole meal plan and really want to show this to the boyf….perhaps you’ve not only shown me the way towards pumpkin pie but cleansing the bod as well! thanks for such a fab-tastic post. ♥

4. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.
    February 12, 2013 at 7:06 am (2 years ago)

I really want to try this. It’s hard when you have a husband (and/or a child!) to feed too. But, i think I will try this soon. The fig smoothie and the banana smoothie sound awesome!

5. Kristen { Hello Monday Design }
    February 12, 2013 at 1:13 pm (2 years ago)

These look delish, and I feel like I need to give them a try as lately I have been feeling very sluggish! I’ve made a green smoothie in the past with just bananas and spinach, but your smoothies look a lot more appealing lol

6. Annie
    February 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm (2 years ago)

I love your detox tips…and the photos of your smoothies actually make me really want to try a detox!

Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

7. Taylor
    February 13, 2013 at 2:20 am (2 years ago)

I did your other three day plan and it really worked! I’m not sure about figs in a smoothie , but I’m willing to try it … lol.

8. Emily Smith
    February 13, 2013 at 3:27 am (2 years ago)

@Lynn {hearted girl} Hehehe, you’re wonderful! Some of these recipes are certainly a leap, but stretching our pallettes limit to enjoy new and delicious foods is a delight in of itself! I hope that when you and Sean find time to try a detox/cleanse you’ll incorporate one or a few of the smoothie recipes – and let me know what you think! xo

9. Punctuation Mark
    February 13, 2013 at 6:43 am (2 years ago)

i should totally give this a try… i feel i need something to give my body some extra TLC!

10. Lyndi
    November 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm (1 year ago)

Our first day pf doing the detox today. Hope i can survive feel so hungry right now.

11. charlie jewett
    November 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm (1 year ago)

do you have a shopping list for this diet so I can easily buy everything at once? If it’s on the page somewhere I’m sorry I missed it but please point out where I should look.

thanks

• Emily Smith
      November 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Charlie,

I don’t have a shopping list for the ingredients! A few people have asked me to create one and it’s a matter of pulling it together (one day!) Hope you can jot down what you need at the market and enjoy your smoothies! :)

• Lyndi
        November 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm (1 year ago)

Hey Emily my boyfriend and I just finished the detox and it was great. The cookie was really tough and hard to eat. The roasted vegetable was my favourite. After 3 day was thinking about doing it again bit longer maybe someday.

12. misssrobin
    December 18, 2013 at 8:12 am (11 months ago)

Sounds yummy! And a few days taking it easy on my body sounds pretty nice. Thanks!
    misssrobin recently posted…A Year of SeeingMy Profile

• Emily Smith
      December 18, 2013 at 9:27 am (11 months ago)

Thank you Robin! It’s a nice switch up, especially after the holiday eating or when you feel your body needs an energy boost! Thanks for visiting today :)

13. Dana
    December 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm (11 months ago)

I don’t think I can do a detox right now, but I would love to try a few of the smoothie recipes, especially for breakfast. Thanks for the recipes, Emily – and happy SITS day!
    Dana recently posted…Blogging is putting a crimp in my readingMy Profile

14. Raquel
    December 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm (11 months ago)

These smoothies look great! I am bookmarking for later. Happy SITS Day to you!

15. Hatton
    December 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm (11 months ago)

Happy SITS day! So excited I discovered your blog. a 3 day cleanse sounds much more doable than a 10 day cleanse – bookmarking this for January :)

16. Laina Turner
    December 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm (11 months ago)

Good recipes. Going to try this after the new year.

17. Karena
    January 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Emily, my husband and I are going to start the detox tomorrow but I am having a hard time finding some of the ingredients, I assume that it will be ok to repeat some of the smoothies instead of having different ones every day, am I correct?

• Emily Smith
      January 3, 2014 at 8:02 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Karena, I’m excited that you’ll be doing the smoothie detox! You can definitely sub with other smoothie recipes (look here for more: http://www.bestofthislife.com/recipes/smoothies) I would just choose ones that are dairy-free (99% of mine are, for the exception of a few w/ yogourt which you can leave out) and lean towards green smoothies (kale or spinach included). Hope you enjoy your New Year’s reboot ;)

18. Chilli
    January 6, 2014 at 5:09 am (11 months ago)

Hey there! Just finished the three days (Ok I cheated last night and had some weetbix)
    It’s actually really good!
    Also, the habby belly papaya smoothie is literally the best thing ever! It felt like I was eating some sort of coconut butter thing! DELISH!

19. C
    January 10, 2014 at 10:25 am (11 months ago)

I want to THANK YOU! for taking the time to share such a delicious detox plan! I finished last night and really feel revitalized! There were tough times during meal prep for my family and I did dream about my New Year’s Eve feast the first night… That was the first time I have ever dreamed about food! The best part of this journey is the sheer delight I had in preparing each meal and snack. I really looked forward to trying new combinations! Today, I gently waltzed back to the coffee maker but went for a soymilk based light coffee. I am sold on the green tea in the morning and love to carry around lemon water all day! I look forward to trying your other recipes and want to commend you for such a beautiful and inspiring website! Blessings and Light to you and yours in this new year!!!

20. Chris Badgett
    January 13, 2014 at 3:55 pm (10 months ago)

I’m on day 6 of a green smoothie detox and feeling great. I’m in Costa Rica enjoying a lot of great locally grown organic fruits and veg which makes it even more enjoyable :-)
    Chris Badgett recently posted…Where do Profitable Business Ideas Come From?My Profile

21. Jen
    April 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm (7 months ago)

Heading to the store this afternoon and will be trying this starting tomorrow :)

• Emily Smith
      April 21, 2014 at 11:22 pm (7 months ago)

That’s wonderful! I hope you really enjoy your detox and that you set your own pace. Warmly, Emily xo

22. Clare
    May 19, 2014 at 1:11 pm (6 months ago)

I did this last weekend – and I feel great :-) I was worried I’d be hungry but I wasn’t needing to eat the full meal until about 8pm and the smoothies were great. The curry soup was just delicious, I shall be making it again! Do you have links to other recipes, not detox just healthy ideas?

Clare

23. Maritza Guzman
    August 18, 2014 at 7:36 pm (3 months ago)

I started this detox today. I felt strong earlier through out the day but at the moment I am feeling weak and light headed. Is that normal?

• Emily Smith
      August 18, 2014 at 7:41 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Martiza, it’s normal to feel light headed on a detox. It’s important to stay at home, remain low-key and drink lots of water. If you are light-headed because you are hungry, make another smoothie or ”clean” snack/meal. Please remember that you should always consult a physician before attempting any cleanse/detox (as noted in the disclaimer, I am not a physician). I do encourage you to rest, drink lots of water, and make another smoothie anytime you are hungry. You are flushing your body’s toxins out by ingesting plenty of nutrients. Please let me know how it goes for you :)

24. Ashley
    August 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm (3 months ago)

Day one done! I’m doing this before and after the master cleanse in preparation for my wedding on sept 13 :) any idea what the nutrition facts are for your recipes? So far they’re delicious and I’m looking forward to the rest of them!

• Emily Smith
      August 25, 2014 at 8:03 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Ashley, congratulations on your engagement! I’m glad that you are enjoying the 3 Day Jump Start Smoothie Detox! You can get an approximate idea of nutritional/caloric value by copy & pasting the recipe here: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php I created the smoothie detox as a kind, gentle cleanse – ridding your diet of junk and helping digestion…glowing skin and weight loss are bonuses ;) Best of luck and happy wedding day!! (*please note disclaimer* this is my personal experience) Warmly, Emily

25. Sarah
    September 9, 2014 at 1:19 am (2 months ago)

I am currently doing this detox! I was just curious if I could repeat snacks? Particularly the rice crackers and almond butter, would this mess with the detoxification process?

• Emily Smith
      September 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Sarah, I hope you are enjoying the detox! This is a gentle detox, meant to eliminate processed foods, alcohol, sugars from the body – repeating the snacks with are sugar free and healthy will be fine for your body. As always, if you have concerns, check with your Dr. Thanks!

• Sarah
        September 9, 2014 at 11:33 pm (2 months ago)

Ok, thank you very much :) and the butternut squash with curry is amazing!