Have you ever just wanted to go into the kitchen, grab a whole bunch of random stuff, mix it, bake it, and see what happens?
If you’ve ever had this childlike impulse then I have a recipe for you: Christmas Cowboy Cookies!
These wildly delicious cookies have a little something for everyone in them. Crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, with bits of crispy and chewy delights scattered throughout them.
Playing with New Holiday Recipes
As we are moving into the Christmas season I’ve already been busy with holiday baking. I’m baking our family’s favourite cookies, adjusting some tried and true recipes, and testing out new ones, like these Cowboy Cookies (also known as Cattle Range Cookies).
It’s fun to throw caution to the wind, try something new and see what comes of it. So this year I gave these Christmas Cowboy Cookies a spin and I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out.
Are they traditionally a Christmas cookie? I’m not sure. I think you could probably enjoy these year round. But they feel festive with the cheerful spots of red from the dried cranberries.
Save Some Cowboy Cookies for Santa
These cookies feel less traditional compared to some of my other regular holiday recipes, but are they ever scrumptious and totally worth baking! Made with oats, toasted rice cereal, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips, they’re a true delight.
It’s almost like one of my kids ransacked the cabinets and threw everything in one big bowl!
While this Christmas cookie might seem a little wild, I’m telling you Santa won’t mind one bit if you leave these out on Christmas Eve. Mmmmm…
The combination of ingredients gives a delicious flavour and unique texture that makes these cookies fun to eat too. Not to mention, there are several different ways you can make them, like using raisins instead of chocolate chips or adding white chocolate chunks. I think the point is to cram a whole lot of yumminess into one cookie.
The toasted rice cereal (Rice Krispies) gives this cookie a nice crunch, the pecans add a depth of flavour, the cranberries bring a pop of tang, the semi-sweet chocolate chips contribute a little decadence and the naturally sweet coconut complements the whole bunch.
If you’re ready to add a new recipe to your family’s holiday cookie collection, try these Christmas Cowboy Cookies!Print
Made with oats, toasted rice cereal, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips, these festive Cowboy Cookies are a holiday delight.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or lard (for dairy-free) (or butter, softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups gluten-free quick oats
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips ((Enjoy Life brand is good for dairy-free))
- Preheat oven to 325F. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, in order on the list. Drop by teaspoonsful on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden on the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove to place on a wire rack to cool completely before storing. Enjoy!
Makes 4-5 dozen cookies depending on size.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
PIN THIS RECIPE!
- Kitchen Makeover: How to Choose the Perfect Paint Colour - August 9, 2023
- Radiant Days: La Roche-Posay Essentials for Your Skincare Routine - August 7, 2023
- 24 Cheerful Painting Projects to Ignite Your Creativity - June 1, 2023