Rich and Decadent Keto-Friendly Chocolate Cake
This keto-friendly chocolate cake is rich, fudgy, decadent, and bursting with chocolate flavour! And it’s not too sweet. The beautiful balance of chocolate, espresso, and vanilla, paired with the nutty notes from the almond flour, coconut flour, and flaxseed meal, bring a perfect unison to the taste of this cake.
A Delicious Low-Carb Chocolate Cake
Have you baked with almond flour or coconut flour before? It can sometimes be tricky, but when you get the right ratios, it’s really delicious. Both of these flours absorb liquid like crazy, so a little bit of flour goes a long way.
I’ve been playing with low-carb recipes and this cake was perfection. I love how just a little bit of espresso (or really dark coffee), and a pinch of chili powder, can bring out the chocolate flavour so much. For the frosting, cream cheese and cocoa make a sublime statement. It’s soooooo good!
related: gluten-free mocha latte cupcakes
A Great Dessert For Father’s Day
I made this cake with Father’s Day in mind. My husband doesn’t like overly sweet treats, and isn’t a huge fan of sugary icing. This cake couldn’t be farther from that. It’s decadent because of the depth of flavour and heavenly because it’s topped off with creamy frosting that tastes fresh and chocolaty.
It’s truly satisfying. But don’t just take my word for it! 😉
related: gluten-free banana snacking cake
You Can Prepare This Cake Ahead of Time
If you will be serving this delightful chocolate cake for Father’s Day or another summer party, you can make the cake a day or two in advance and either refrigerate or freeze it in an air tight container. Then you can prepare the frosting the night before the event or the morning of. This allows you to cut down on prep the day of the gathering.
related: gluten-free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
While this cake is keto-friendly and gluten-free, there is truly nothing missing from it. It stands alone in its deliciousness! Chocolate lovers will truly appreciate just how marvellous this dessert is, I’m sure of it.Print
Keto-Friendly Chocolate Cake
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
This cake is rich, fudgy, decadent and full of chocolate flavour.
- 1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional to bring out chocolate flavour)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (or coconut oil, softened (not melted))
- 3/4 cup Monk Fruit Sugar (or other keto-friendly sugar)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup espresso, room temperature (or strongly brewed coffee)
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Monk Fruit Powdered Sugar (or other keto-friendly sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup espresso, room temperature (or strongly brewed coffee)
- 3/4 half and half cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 8” pans with parchment and grease with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, chili powder, and salt.
- Grab your hand mixer and in a seprate mixing bowl, whip the butter and Monk Fruit Sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla. Then add your eggs, one at at time, mixing them into the batter.
- Now add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Finally, add the almond milk and espresso. Stir until incorporated into the mix.
- Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 26-28 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- For the frosting you will need a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Now add in Monk Fruit Sugar, cocoa powder, coconut flour, and espresso and beat again until smooth (there will be tiny grains from the coconut flour that might remain). Finally add in the half and half cream and sea salt – mix until combined.
- To frost the cake, place the bottom cake on a serving platter (or a firm cutting board and transfer to platter afterwards), frost the center generously and top with the second layer of the cake. Frost the remaining cake on top and on the sides. You can use whatever techique you'd like to complete your cake!
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!
This recipe is slightly adapted from “Keto Chocolate Cake” at delish.com
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
I hope you give it a try and if you do let me know in the comments what you thought of it. I have a feeling you’ll be a huge fan too!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST!
- Drying Wildflowers: A Step-by-Step Guide - March 31, 2023
- DIY Easter Egg Dyeing with Natural Ingredients - March 26, 2023
- 30 St. Patrick’s Day Party Ideas and Recipes - March 16, 2023