I imagine that anyone who enjoys cooking easy dinners that taste delicious will surely have cooked chili before. Have you? Is it a meal that your family enjoys? In my opinion, it’s a simple yet tasty meal which is perfect for those cold winter days, like we’ve been having here in Ottawa. One chili recipe has always stood out for me and that’s my mom’s chili recipe. I might be a little bias on this, but in all honesty it’s amazing! This recipe is a healthy, delicious and hearty chili dish without being overly spicy – it’s just the right amount of flavour. It’s not only my favourite, everyone loves to stay for dinner when they found out we we’re serving my mom’s chili!
This deliciously satisfying chili is easy to make! After a bit of prep work, you toss all the ingredients in a slow-cooker (Crock Pot) and let it simmer for 6-8 hours. You can make it in the morning and it’s ready for dinner without much fuss. It’s also a perfect meal to prepare, separate in portion sizes and freeze until you’re ready to enjoy it.
I’ve been using the recipe for a long time and it’s still a favourite among my family and friends. The great thing about chili is that it’s nutritious, filling and can even benefit our bodies in multiple ways.
One of the great health benefits about chili is that it contains beans. Legumes (the group name for food like beans, peas and lentils) are a great source of nutrition, they’re one of the healthiest foods out there. Adding beans to your diet can greatly help you achieve the advised amount of fiber intake. Just half a cup of beans provides around 4 to 8 grams of fiber! Beans are low in fat and cholesterol-free.
Another great health benefit of chili is the tomatoes. Tomatoes are full of vitamin C which is a vital vitamin for our body. Vitamin C is full of antioxidants which fights off the harmful molecules in our body trying to take down our immune system, protecting us against a cold or a flu.
So, let’s recap! This homemade chili recipe is wildly scrumptious and nutritious! I hope I’ve got you on board for trying it out this week. Bon appetit!
A hearty, flavourful chili with just the right amount of spice for a cold winter’s day.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans baked beans (or equivalent homemade baked beans)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few twist of fresh ground pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook beef until evenly browned, about 7- 8 minutes. Drain and discard any excess fat.
- Combine ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours (or High for 4 hours.)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8