Do You Declutter Your Home Before Decorating for the Holidays?
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…for decluttering?
Stay with me.
Yes, I Declutter My Home Before Decorating for the Holidays!
There’s no doubt about it, the holiday season is my favourite time of the year.
Even this year.
Yes, we’ll miss out on some of our traditional holiday activities that are outside the home. But just because we won’t be traveling around as much, or visiting Santa this year, doesn’t mean I’m not going to get into the holiday spirit.
Everything from listening to Christmas music, watching holiday movies, baking cookies, and wrapping presents brings me so much happiness. I look forward to this season all year long, and when it comes, I can’t help but be excited.
Even though I am more than ready to kick off the festivities, there is one thing I need to do first – declutter all the things.
Before the decorations go up and wrapping paper explodes everywhere, I want our home to be clutter-free and deep cleaned. Tell me I’m not alone in this! I was recently reading an Instagram post about how it’s not necessary to clean before decorating. I thought about not decluttering and tidying my home before pulling out a mess of holiday decorations and decided that route just wasn’t for me.
If you’re like me and you want to declutter your house before decorating for the holidays, below are some of my straightforward tips to get it done.
5 Ways to Declutter and Clean Before the Holidays
- Pull everything out! Start by going through your closets, cupboards, drawers and other places in your home you want to tidy – take everything out. By taking everything out, you will be able to identify things you no longer need or want. Then give the space a good clean and organize the items you want to keep back into that space. This may be a big project if you do this throughout your whole home, but even if you focus on the common spaces like the kitchen, living room, and dining room, it will make an impact.
- Store out-of-season items. Clothing and recreational items that are no longer in season will be better off stored away. If you are not going to wear or use it during the colder winter months, then boxing it up will create more space to highlight the things you are going to wear or use for this season.
Organize, Toss, Dust – Make Room for the New Season
- Clean out your fridge and pantry. There is going to be a lot of holiday baking coming up in the next few weeks! As I mentioned, this is my favourite time of the year to make festive treats. Taking the time to deep clean your pantry and fridge will get you ready for all the holiday cooking and baking ahead.
- Recycle and shred papers. If you have junk mail kicking around the entryway, old notes in the top drawer of the kitchen, magazines you’ve finished reading in the living room – it’s time to clear them away.
- Dust, dust, and dust some more. Clear away dust from bookshelves, the fireplace mantel, and under the couches. Basically, anywhere dust and dust bunnies accumulate, give a good clean before you put up all your pretty holiday decorations.
Before the holiday season officially kicks off, taking some time to declutter and plan for the month ahead helps to free up visual and mental space. It’s much easier on the eyes when clutter is gone. And it feels better on the mind when those to-do lists floating around in your head are written down.
The busyness of the season can make things more stressful than they need to be, but a little decluttering and a few preparations can help make this a calmer, more enjoyable time of year.
Now, time to decorate!
- DIY Easter Egg Dyeing with Natural Ingredients - March 26, 2023
- 30 St. Patrick’s Day Party Ideas and Recipes - March 16, 2023
- 8 Crafts to Spark Your Creativity This Winter - February 8, 2023